aforismes interins

dimarts, 1 de desembre del 2009

right or wrong

- Oh. I'm flattered!
- mmm... I don't smell anything
Spongebob

Si haces creer a la gente que están pensando, te adorarán; pero si las
haces pensar, te odiarán visceralmente.
        -- Azimuth. Página surrealista mexicana.
 




I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradictions to the sentiments of others, and all positive assertion of my own. I even forbade myself the use of every word or expression in the language that imported a fixed opinion, such as "certainly", "undoubtedly", etc. I adopted instead of them "I conceive", "I apprehend", or "I imagine" a thing to be so or so; or "so it appears to me at present".

When another asserted something that I thought an error, I denied myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly, and of showing him immediately some absurdity in his proposition. In answering I began by observing that in certain cases or circumstances his opinion would be right, but in the present case there appeared or semed to me some difference, etc.

I soon found the advantage of this change in my manner; the conversations I engaged in went on more pleasantly. The modest way in which I proposed my opinions procured them a readier reception and less contradiction.

I had less mortification when I was found to be in the wrong, and I more easily prevailed with others to give up their mistakes and join with me when I happened to be in the right.

-- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada